[clarissa] 2nd season STTW

Donald Lancon dcljr at obkb.com
Fri Aug 3 23:45:47 UTC 2007

Husky quoted and said:

> http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29364
>
>> sttw : Unfortunately, CBS Paramount has delivered up another season of edited shows, some severely so.
>> sttw : If the total running time listed is correct (the DVD case states six hours, 15 minutes), and there are 26
>> sttw : episodes, do the math for an average episode running time
>
> I've known for awhile that the average 30 minute sitcom averages airing between 12 and 20 minutes of actual sitcom.

No, no.  That's way too short.  More like 22 minutes (in the U.S., anyway).

Boogaloo said:

> Actual network airtime for a sitcom is 22:30; when it goes into
> syndication it  is either run through a process that speeds up the
> playback and then equalizes the audio so that another minute is
> harvested

Which is why I almost never watch shows in syndication...

> Usually, when
> programs go to video and DVD they are in the original form as they aired
> on network and not the modified syndication/cable version.

Amazon.com is saying 555 minutes (or about 21:21 per episode) for the
second season:

<http://www.amazon.com/Sabrina-Teenage-Witch-Second-Season/dp/B000PGTPGO>

And 528 minutes (for 24 episodes, or exactly 22 minutes per episode) for
the first season:

<http://www.amazon.com/Sabrina-Teenage-Witch-Complete-Season/dp/B000KLQUMG>

Unfortunately, Amazon also notes, for the second season set, that the
"Music has been changed for this home entertainment version".

Bastards.

 - dcljr, proud owner of the special 8-disc version of the completely
          unedited, unaltered (except I think to _lengthen_ one of the
          episodes!) box set of 'Freaks and Geeks'