[clarissa] Come join me on Melissa Joan Hart

Donald Lancon dcljr at obkb.com
Tue Sep 22 04:53:25 UTC 2009

Earlier today I said:

> Melissa has started a new website for fans:
>
>   http://melissajoanhart.ning.com/
>
> Interested parties, sign up and join in...

(For the record, that's the only part of my message that was actually me
talking; the rest was stuff added by Ning.com.)

Interesting... I was sure this message wouldn't actually show up on the
list because it wasn't sent from the e-mail address I'm subscribed
under.  I guess Mailman (the software the list runs on) checked the
"Reply-To:" field, which did contain my subbed address.

Anyway... Ning is a "social networking" type of site with "friends",
etc.  Melissa's "network" is basically like a "fan page", except it's
ultimately controlled by Melissa and Lizzie.  Kinda cool... keeps
incorrect information to a minimum, at least!

> Click the link below to Join:
> http://melissajoanhart.ning.com/?xgi=5OgyTp0wWGlU51

Hmm... I hope someone following that link isn't somehow forever
associated by Ning.com with the mailing list address I sent this
invitation to!  I guess I didn't think this through enough before I sent
it....

Anyway (again)...

So I received an e-mail on Fri evening from Melissa's sister / personal
assistant, Lizzie (Elizabeth Hart, now Savage), asking me to be an
administrator on the 'Clarissa Explains It All' section of the
aforementioned website.

Interestingly, almost exactly 13 years ago I e-mailed Paula (*) saying I
would love to work on a website for Melissa.  That never went anywhere,
of course.  So now, 13 years later they've asked me to do just that! :-)

(* Paula = Melissa's mother -- if you don't already know the story about
how I used to e-mail Paula, and then later Melissa's assistant, off and
on for a few years, it's a long story... actually, nevermind, that's the
story.)

Unfortunately, I/we didn't have much time to set up the site since they
wanted it to go "live" tonight (supposedly happened between 5 and 6pm
CDT this evening) to coincide with the 'Dancing With the Stars' season
premiere.  So I just put up some bare-bones information about the show
(which they've already expanded upon, a bit) and started some de rigueur
discussion threads (favorite episodes and the like).

People can suggest other things for the site, of course, but it's kind
of a limited platform, as far as what types of content we can put up
(specifically, we can host photos, videos, discussion forums, comments,
and blogs, but interestingly just putting up a plain webpage -- like,
for example, an episode guide for the show -- is not easy!).

Whatever...

 - dcljr